Whether you are an experienced domainer or new to the industry, this Masterclass is packed with invaluable information on how to get the most out of your domain traffic.
Everything from normalized RPM, traffic routing and better management practices are openly discussed and backed up with with case studies and real-life experiences.
Meet your new instructor: Michael Gilmour, domain monetization expert, speaker, writer, and commentator. Michael explains why he loves the domain industry and how he wants to show you how to optimize your returns by understanding the numbers that matter.
2.  The four domain business models
What is a domain name?
- Computers think in IP addresses (IPv4, IPv6)
- Right and left of the dot
- Generics, ccTLDs, new gTLDs
- Stock items
- Rainbow domains
3.  Is domain monetization dead?
Monetization is alive and well
- Gold rush analogy
- How revenue is generated
– a match made in heaven
- The real-estate analogy
- Billboard in the desert vs. a freeway
4.  Understanding the fundamentals
- How pay-per-click transformed online advertising
- Understanding the fundamentals of views, clicks, EPC, CTR, CPA and CPM models
- Monetization as a business
– the quest for traffic and advertisers
- The temptation of arbitrage
- Finding traffic domains
- Getting access to advertisers
5.  RPM, a misunderstood metric
- Definition of RPM millennium
- Case Study - comparing two domains
- What is a unique visitor? - Traffic filters and how they impact RPM
- How is revenue measure and allocated?
- Advertising demand
- Next level understanding of RPM
- The advertiser perspective
- The tension in the keyword auction system
- Extracting the maximum amount for your traffic
6.  Measuring Success
- What is the best number to measure?
- Why traditional metrics do not stack up.
- The importance of defining an index.
- The difference between RPM and normalized RPM.
- Why normalized RPM is so powerful.
- Getting to the right answer every time.
- Normalized RPM fosters a true traffic marketplace.
7.  Benefits of traffic routing
The three primary benefits of traffic optimization
- Maximize your revenue - the importance of the normalized RPM - simultaneous testing vs. changing DNS
- Flexibility to test/move traffic - benchmarking to prove performance
- Manage downside risk and exposure - smoothing out the risk Traffic routing at both
- a domain level, and
- portfolio level
Who is the best domain parking company?
8.  Rotating vs Algorithmic Switching
- What makes a traffic domain?
- The cost of buying information
- How traffic rotating works.
- The inherent power of algorithmic switching
- What needs to be considered in traffic routing
- The 7 different revenue numbers
- Getting to the correct nRPM for optimal routing traffic
9.  Impact of direct advertising
- The impact of direct advertisers
- The spot vs. average price dilemma
- How you can win bigger with zero-click
- Case study - How this impacts the bottom line
10.  Managing a large domain portfolio
Four different types of leakage that costs you money
Case Study - Domain Mismanagement
Case Study - Well managed portfolio
11.  Running a Traffic Test
What is the goal of the test?
Conditions for a traffic test
- Baseline data
- Simultaneous testing
- Macro trends
- Micro fluctuations
- Group traffic dynamics
Domains to exclude
- results of an actual traffic test